Thursday, June 23, 2022

I rode a camel again. I can’t say the second time was any better than the first time, but I did get to experience a sand storm, something I was actually curious about. In all the movies it looks like a giant orange cloud descending upon you like a tsunami, but in reality, as I was looking at the rain curtain about a mile away, the dust storm snuck up from behind and pushed tiny particles of rocks in all my crevices. Our guide, Khalid, said it was best to hide behind the camel, but I found my feet being buried in the torrentially downpour of sand and thus, not better. As we stood, holding steadfast, it became kind of fun- withstanding the vicious wind and try to breathe through the shawls we wrapped around our heads. Only later did I come to realize that this amazing memory would cost me my camera. Sand 1:Camera 0. :( 







Hiking the Todra Gorge was beautiful, but hot, hot, hot. Klahid said “hike in the morning and uphill will be in the shade”. I think he meant if we left at 6am, not 8:30am. We chose not to have a guide because, who hires a guide to hike a mountain that everyone says is clearly marked? So um, Yea....clearly marked is if you’re a nomad or a donkey that knows your way home. We started on a trail that lead through the river bed and somehow missed the off trail, so continued in the dry river all the while thinking “aren’t we suppose to be hiking 2 hours uphill?” Eventually we realized we’d lost the trail and chose the path of a billy goat to head up until we met the “path” again. Luckily the Canadians had GPS and a semi topographical map that helped us not get completely lost, but man, I’m out of shape and had to stop every 100 meters or so to rest before reaching a top point. Then it was across a small plateau and past the nomad village (a tent where the baby adorable goats were sleeping under and some small children asking for money) to the downward trail of “where’s the carian? There it is!” and back to our large, 70 room hotel on a cliffside that catered to only our group of 6. 


The Gorge from the view point (top)

Robby and the Canadians hiking back from the extra view point peak


Went to Ouzar-wood, the Hollywood of Morocco. Atlas Studios in Ouzararate (War-Zar-Zat) is the largest film studio in Africa. Numerous films of all nationalities come here because of tax breaks, but also because Morocco has mountains, water, and various sceneries that can look like a million places. The studio tour was awesome, not only cause I love films, but because you get to wander the sets of numerous productions and see how they look in real life. Our guide was a student who instructed us to do certain things on the Cleopatra set and in an Egyptian Temple and then used his phone for music while he filmed us with my phone. He’s not a film student, but I would totally hire him as a Production assistant - he has a cinematographer’s eye and the aptitude to be a great director. I wish I could work on something filming here- just beautiful with kind people - the town wanting to be willing extras and lovely sets. 



Stayed on a Homestay after walking an hour uphill from Imlil, the tourist town known for the starting point of psychos who like to hike 8 hours uphill to high points on mountains (Toubkal Peak). After a lovely evening with a home cooked tagine and view of the mountain, we woke up to hike the 4 mile up and downhill trail to a religious shrine that Moroccan’s come to ask for help obtaining babies, husbands, good luck, etc. Since I wasn’t having the uphill, Mary and I hired donkeys to ascend the rocky, stepped path for the first 1.5 hours. I felt slightly regale on my donkey steed as I ascended 100 meters elevation, but my knees and lungs were forever grateful and it was an interesting experience riding a donkey on sharp switchbacks while your friends are huffing and puffing behind you and your donkey guide (who was ancient and bow-legged) is “la la la” beside you since this is easy-peasey to him. 


Them hiking behind me on the Donkey

Mary and I on our donkeys with our guides

The town we stayed in.

The Shrine at the middle of the hill (2 miles uphill)


Visited Essaouira, the city on the Atlantic Ocean- the only city that made me put on a light hoodie. It’s of Portugal influence, so white stone buildings and clean alleyways. We actually stayed inside the Medina and loved it, maybe too much. Ended up never venturing to the beach front and seeing the water up close because we became “girls” and sadly, shopped. But Robby and I found beautiful Berber style rugs that are made from sheep’s wool and some plant, plus Robby picked up an interestingly nice coat that is handmade of various fabrics and looks slightly like a couch gone wrong, but for all the right reasons. I think it’s amazing, Robby is still on fence if she made a good purchase. We’ll see when she dazzles everyone in America. We also visited a crepe shop that has a line because it’s so popular. His neighbors hate him (are jealous) and the locals love him. For $4 we got an extra large homemade turkey, Spanish, cheese, and hot sauce delight. Worth waiting 40 minutes for. We walked to the Scala (what the Kasbah- or outer safety wall of the city- is called in a port town) and watched the sunset while munching on yumminess. 


Also ended up ordering fresh caught fish and octopus from the fisherman at the docks and then brought it back to the market place to be cooked in a communial over where local cook knows how to prepare any type of food with amazing spices. One of the highlights of the trip. So yummy and very reasonably priced- like $10 for fresh seafood and $3 to cook it. I would definitely be here a lot if I lived in this town. 


Souk of Essaouira 

The Scala

Sunset

My rug (got it washed, so prettier)

Mary feasting on fresh oysters 


Now drinking Moroccan wine and writing my blog from a terrace overlooking a pool next to a lovely hotel restaurant. More later lovely people reading my blog. :)  

No comments: