Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Yet Another Adventure Finishes

It's always strange that when I get to the end of a trip, I, for some reason, never feel like finishing my blog. I think that all the "vacation" has worn me out and therefore I stop caring so much about the little things. But, I am here to complete this latest adventure of my amazing time in Ireland and Scotland. I have to say that I loved Scotland a little bit more than Ireland because it was, to me, more beautiful. But then it could have been that Ireland was experiencing a draught - no rain for 15+ days and it's a calamity in Ireland. If only LA had that problem.

Scotland had some of the most amazing castles, lush hillsides, amazing cliffs and rudest people. Ireland had numerous hiking trails, beautiful landscapes, and sweetest people, but my heart lies with Scotland, especially the Isle of Skye. There is just something serene about that Isle that makes me want to go back. It could be that the hostel was friendly and the hitchhikers polite or the fantastic view from the lighthouse and the stunning fairy pools, but I want to go back.

Ireland's Ring of Kerry and Ring of Dingle captured my heart the most. Aside from the annoying tourist buses that really shouldn't be driving on tiny roads and trying to push normal sized cars into the crashing waves below, it held a peaceful air about it. Mother Nature at her best.

I really feel that anyone who travels, you should go to Scotland and Ireland at some point in your lives. You don't have to have a specific reason as to why, you just have to have a love of nature, greenness, beer, and maybe castles. Or my rather dumb reasons (but reasons non-the-less) for wanting to go: to see green rolling hills, to find a road with a cobblestone wall running along it (like from the movie, "Leap Year"), to have sheep or cows blocking the road, and to find a leprechaun. I found everything, but the leprechaun, but there is always next time. I did see a rainbow though, so the leprechaun was about.

Anyhow, after Eli left us, we drove around the Ring of Dingle, because we only had one day in the area and the Ring of Kerry was too packed with tourists. Lots of pretty castles and beehive looking houses next to the water. We ended up in Cork for the night and promptly left the next day. The hostel that we stayed at was essentially a prison. Our room was down a narrow hallway with two more dorms and a co-bathroom off the sides. Upon opening our dorm door we were greeted with a tiny, whitewashed brick 30'x30' cell with 3 bunk beds crammed in. The bathroom next door has two toilets and two showers, but only one working sink for the entire floor. Trash and goo everywhere.

There used to be a time I wouldn't have even blinked at this, but I think I'm older, pickier, and I just want to be able to enjoy where I sleep when I travel. I made up a story about having a friend to stay with and so we wouldn't be needing our second reserved night in the prison hostel. No one battered an eye at this and I was promptly handed my money back. Good thing to because our next hostel was lovely and right next to an abandoned and crumbled Abbey - great for photos.

We visited a couple more Abbey's, a castle, a folk village, and a cave before heading back to the Dublin Airport. The journey was amazing and blessed relief from a couple long years of continual work (not that I'm against working, but vacations help you not burn out) and the fact that I didn't kill Robby is a grand accomplishment. The trip started off rocky, but when we realized we didn't need to plan everything, just go with the flow and see what we saw, everything worked out. So, in the end, I had a great time, but I am actually looking forward to working again. Hum, I must have finally find a job I like. Until the next adventure, thanks for sticking with me on my journey!!!

 For my best Friend, Candice, who is alway Tigger, and I'm always Eeyore.

 Robby and Eli at the Cliffs of Moher

Having camera fun at a graveyard

Robby and I inside a cave.

What a pretty place to rest.

The sun was awesome.

My rainbow, but no Leprechaun :(

No comments: